Friday, July 31, 2009

Seiko Yachtman Chronograph, 6138-0017


Age: January, 1972

Dimensions: 40mm wide (w/o crown), 18mm lugs

Features: Day, Date, Chronograph, Tachymeter, 2 sub-dials for 12 hour events, Mineral glass crystal, Water-resistant 70m, Lumed hour markers and hands

Notes: I have been lusting after one of these 6138-001X series watches for some time, and mine finally arrived yesterday. It is a big sucker and sits quite high on the wrist, though comfortably. The bracelet is sort of a fishbone/oyster hybrid. The two sub-dials, one smaller than the other and with a checkerboard pattern, make it one of the more distinctive Seiko chronographs. I wrote a more in-depth review of it here. I look forward to collecting its cousins, the -0010 and -0011.

2 comments:

  1. i am 14 and my dad gave me that watch. i like it because its heavy and feels good on my wrist. my dad got the watch when he was in high school he is 54 now . the seiko 6138-0017 is alo called a (ufo).i havei have the same band i like it better the leather bands they have for it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Reef! Glad to hear you like these 6138s, too. You're right -- it is heavy yet manages to still feel comfortable. Enjoy it!

    Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete