Sunday, August 2, 2009

Seiko Chronograph, 6139-6040


Age: September, 1976

Dimensions: 38mm wide, 19mm lugs

Features: Day, Date, Tachymeter, Mineral glass crystal, Fully recessed crown

Notes: This is the One That Started It All. My first Seiko, purchased in 2001 on eBay from the notorious Sophon. I should probably feel lucky that I escaped from that transaction with an actual Seiko, and not something cobbled together with an old picture and washing machine parts, seeing as I knew absolutely nothing then. This watch, missing the white part of its outer bezel decal, reminds me of 1/2 of a 6138 because its sub-dial is square-shaped. The pushers don't stick, it keeps fantastic time, has the rare black (and not orange) dial, and takes curved end-pieces of some unique radian (because I can't find a match after all these years for a bracelet), and I'll never, ever sell it.

4 comments:

  1. that surely is a re-dial,the original variants of that model is are orange and tan dial only.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kid, I keep going back and forth in my head about that. I know the dials you're talking about, but the print on this one is legit. I've spent hours squinting at it.

    I just found the missing end-piece to the bracelet, so maybe one day I'll find conclusive evidence about the dial (though you're probably right!)

    Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'Got the same watch (orange dial) and have found that the submariner style bracelet fits quite well with the case curvature.
    My tachy ring needs replacing too...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm, good to know! Thanks for the info. Those tach decals are extremely hard to find. If you ever come across them, please let me know!

    Thanks for reading.

    -JB

    ReplyDelete